Monday, September 11, 2006

Happy Birthday Nana!

My mom turns 50 today. In honor of her, I'd like to take a moment to share some of my best memories of her when I was little. At bedtime, I used to curl around sideways so I could put my head on her lap while we said prayers. I tended to get a bit elaborate, just to keep my head there a bit longer. Mom had a way of making the simplest meals the most special. The ultimate dinner treat was tortilla chips with cheddar cheese melted on them. Mom used to eat toast with peanut butter for lunch every day. It was her quiet time, and she usually read while she ate. I totally respect her for holding on to that time for herself. We lived out in the country, so she went grocery shopping for our family of six once every week or two. When she got home, the entire kitchen floor would fill up with brown paper grocery bags full of stuff. It was awe inspiring then, and even more so now that I know how much effort that must have taken! Mom encouraged us to find ways to amuse ourselves, and provided the basic means for us to create whatever we wanted (within reason). When we went to the fair and I saw the "invisible dog" leashes they were selling, I desperately wanted one. She said no, but let me use a coat hanger and a whole bunch of pipe cleaners to make my own! She never told us to not be silly. Mom encouraged reading. We'd come home from the library with a 15 lb stack each. We got to choose one book to read immediately, while she wrote down the names of all the others in a notebook so that none would be lost without us knowing it on due day. When we were old enough, Mom let us play in the bathtub for a LONG time. Mom hates camping, but she never tried to stop us from going with Dad. Frankly, I bet she enjoyed the "time off." Mom taught me to be clean when it counts, although it took me 25 years to decide that it does indeed count sometimes other than holidays.
Mom sent me chainmail underwear and vitamins for Easter when I was in college, and messages in bottles. When Mombi and I decided to leave Denver and move back home, she helped to make us comfortable and never asked up front how long we intended to stay. It was such a huge relief. I could go on and on, but I have to save something for the next "Mom" event.

I love you , Mom!

No comments: