Thursday, April 12, 2007

Collection of Mental Moments

As the experience of labor begins to fade in my mind, there are moments that remain vivid and strong. What moments were best or worst? Hard to say. The entire experience was so overwhelming that it's nearly impossible to rank them in any sort of specific order. However, there are definitely a few that stand out as top contenders.

The first half hour or so after my water broke were probably the most "fun." I managed to maintain my own calm, and so I was really able to enjoy watching Mombi and my sister and her partner all running around and pulling everything together for the trip to the hospital. There were so many smiles and cases of people running around forgetting what they were supposed to be looking for. It was great fun to watch from my waterproofed spot on the couch.

The span of time when Griffin's heart rate dropped during labor was definitely the scariest, despite the drugs that kept me from total awareness. I remember trying to prepare myself for the possibility that we had come so far only to lose him right then. After hearing that steady doplar beat for so many hours, hearing it get slower and slower was terrifying. Twelve hours and one successful birth later, sleeping off the meds in my recovery room, I kept hearing the doplar in my mind. I woke up with a start several times when I thought I heard it slow down.

The moment that was even better than I dreamed it would be was the first time I looked over and saw Mombi holding Griffin. It gives me tears every time I think about it, and it's not hormones talking. We've been together nearly six years, and for at least five of those years I've been imagining what a great mom she'd be and what it would be like to have kids together. Seeing her with our child, and the pure love and joy she was pouring over him, was indescribaby beautiful.

Here's a bonus shot of my mom hanging out with Griffin in the NICU:

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture is ADORABLE! It's goin up at work.

Stacey said...

Cute picture! We want to see more of the little guy. :)

OMG, we remember the doppler as well. We could hear it for hours after we got home from the hospital. It really does stay in your mind.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on everything working out alright!
Ok, I'm at 39 weeks now...tell me, tell me...how does your pelvis feel now? Your back? Are you moving easily now? Can you roll over and pop right out of bed with no problems? Can you once again sleep on your stomach and back? (Oh, heaven...)
Tell me how goooooood it feels to have an empty uterus!

Momai said...

Amanda, glad you like it! I'm not sure how many of the extended family have heard the news or seen the pics, but I'm really glad to know that you and your family have!

Anonymous: My pelvis feels great, thanks for asking! My back was a bit confused for a couple days, but that was probably due in part to the hospital bed. In any case, I haven't had ANY back pain since I got home from the hospital 48 hours after his birth. And I'm sleeping comfortably with one pillow instead of 6! Moving is still uncomfortable because of the swelling and stitches between my legs (sorry if that's too much info) but I can already sleep however I want if I move slowly to arrange myself, and I can definitely maneuver around easier in general. I hadn't realized just how much I had been blocking out my discomfort until it wasn't there any more. You're about to feel fabulous! Good luck!!

Wendy and Karen said...

What a sweet, sweet post.

Chelle said...

He's so beautiful! I'm so happy for you both.

Mermaidgrrrl said...

Wow - it's wonderful to hear that about Mombi because I suspect I'll feel the same. I can't wait for LM to be a mummy! I can't believe I'm "next" - how scary. So glad your pelvis is already feeling better. I'm in so much pain now with mine and I was scared it would be a lingering issue after the birth.

Holly said...

What a cute little guy!!!
Your post made me well up. What a scary time during delivery. You go through so many emotions from when labor starts until you are holding that little person - it's amazing and scary and amazing and scary...
Congratulations again.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, he is beautiful! We were all thinking about you on Easter wondering how things were going, I'm so glad that everything ended so well. It's such a miracle, and seeing the pictures of you all with him makes me tear up. Give him a squeeze from all of us up here in Traverse City.

Anonymous said...

Congradulations!!!
Sounds like you had an easy birth. Good job to all three of you!!! If they didn't have to do a C section it went as well as could be expected. All are healthy and that's what's important!!! Quit your whining!!!
sorry...mom of three...

Love you two,uh, when you coming to Oregon!?!?!?!?

The Plum Lady...

Anonymous said...

Congradulations!!!
Sounds like you had an easy birth. Good job to all three of you!!! If they didn't have to do a C section it went as well as could be expected. All are healthy and that's what's important!!! Quit your whining!!!
sorry...mom of three...

Love you two,uh, when you coming to Oregon!?!?!?!?

The Plum Lady...