Sunday, April 01, 2007

Yay for Oxygen!

I think Griffin is starting to drop. How can I tell?

First, let's look at what I have less of:
- Less heartburn. I still need the Pepcid, but I can sleep laying down instead of propped up to 45 degrees.
- Less bladder space. When I'm awake, that translates to a trip to the little ladies' room about once every half hour. When I'm asleep (and therefore horizontal) I can usually sleep for an hour or two before I have to get up & go.
- Less pain on my upper abdomen. He's hanging out in that stressed area less, which makes me very happy.

What do I have more of?
- More stretch marks. Yep, that's right folks. After 37 weeks without a single one visible, I now have about five cute little pink dots on each side of my lower belly. The good news is that they probably won't get much bigger at this late date, so they'll fade quickly. Not that they'd bother me if they hung around, but hey. It's a culture thing, I guess.
- More oxygen! Not a lot more, mind you, but enough to climb a flight of stairs without feeling like I've conquered K2. Of course, I still get overheated by anything more envigorating than reading the user's manual for a diaper pail. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

Finally, I have the paperwork from my OB. She gave me a copy to keep with me at all times so that if I find it time to go to the hospital, I'll be able to give a copy to the L&D nurses immediately. The notes from3/19 say Cx LTC, Post-VTX. The ones from 3/30 say CX LTC - VTX -1. Soft, Posterior. Can any of you L&D nurses confirm what the abbreviations mean? Looks to me like Griffin was at -1 at my last visit.

I also found out at my last appointment that my OB will be out of town M-F this week. I'm not sure where she's going, but she's flying. Since she's got a private practice, not a group, that means that if I were to have Griffin this week, I'd have a stand-in Dr that I haven't met or even heard of. Fun! Not that it will matter that much, I suppose, since most of the time in the hospital is spent with the nurses and my personal support team, but still. I like my OB, and I'd like her to be there.

Stay tuned for the Great Nursery Reveal... It's supposed to be done later today!

5 comments:

Wendy and Karen said...

Yay for dropping! It's so exciting that Griffin is almost here!

Chelle said...

Can't WAIT to see photos of the nursery!!! So glad Griffin is giving you a little more space up top. My goodness.... are you ready??

battynurse said...

Well I'm not an L&D nurse but I still have my maternal child nursing textbook so here's what I found. VTX means vertex and that Griffin is head down, I'm not sure about the first letters but I'm guessing it's something to do with the position he's in and the -1 indicates how far the presenting part (head) has dropped into the birth canal, his head is 1cm above the ischial spines on the hip bones. My book says birth is imminent when presenting part is +4-5cm. hope that helps and good luck to you.

Holly said...

ahhh...breathing is nice!

Can't wait for nursery pics!

Merr said...

Can't wait for the big reveal!!