Thursday, April 26, 2007

Taking a moment

Griffin's napping and I'm actually awake, so I figured I'd take the chance to post. Maternity leave is such a blur. I generally have no idea what day it is, and half the time I don't even know if the time on the clock is AM or PM. As tiring and random as it is, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I think Mombi and Griffin are, too.

It's so sweet to wake up to Mombi bringing Griffin into our room for a random snuggle when he's fresh and clean from a sponge bath, or when we're playing on his play mat, or just checking out the light fixtures. Watching Mombi talking to him and playing with him is amazing.

I'm doing about half of Griffin's feedings by pumping for Mombi to bottle feed, and half by nursing. He also gets a few ounces a day of formula, since I'm not quite up to speed with him yet after all the formula he got while in the NICU. I've stopped stressing about it, though, so it's all good. Mombi keeps me well fed and rested, and I try to do the same for her. Last night I actually woke up right before my three hour alarm twice in a row, so my body is definitely adjusting to sleeping in short bursts. Thank goodness for that!

We're also making plans for our first big trip with Griffin. A cousin of mine is getting married in Michigan in a month, and we're going to go up for the wedding. (Amanda, are you going to be there? Any othe relatives lurking on the blog?) We're looking forward to showing him off a bit, and seeing everyone. It's been so long since I've seen that side of the family that I'm sure I won't even recognize most of my cousins. There are over 40 cousins on that side of the family, and I'm the oldest, so I won't be able to figure it out easily! I'm sure we'll also have some sort of get-together with the other side of the family while we're in town. It'll be an adventure, to be sure!


Here's a photo I took of Griffin yesterday. Doesn't it make you just want to curl up with him and take a nap?


12 comments:

The Milk Maid said...

Good job with the nursing/pumping! It's a tuff job if everything goes according to plan from the beginning, let alone the unexpected nicu stay. You have the 2 sweetest things in life going for you right now-- a baby and a partner who loves you!! Thumbs up!

S&C said...

Sounds like things are going great! He is so cute! Thanks for sharing pics!

Chelle said...

I DO want to snuggle the little puddin'!! He looks exquisitely soft.

underdog said...

ABSOLUTELY snuggleish!! Rachel

Unknown said...

Yes! I am going to be there! Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to meet the little guy! Yay! I was hoping you'd be coming up soon!

Anonymous said...

hi lady! another random cousin on your blog! I will def. be there, & can't wait to see everyone! Hilary

Unknown said...

glad to hear things are going so well. That is an adorable picture of him, by the way... and yes I want to curl up and take a nap with the precious little one!

Sacha said...

Wow, a trip that soon! M. made the announcement that we're going to church in a week and I'm already overwhelmed. Mothers day will be our first day trip out of town.

I'm amazed at how regimented our lives have become with a baby. It's probably me too...I just need to test the waters on everything nice and slow.

Cute pic...he looks so comfy.

Anonymous said...

So glad that things are going well for you and your family. Isn't it amazing what new wonderful feelings you have for your partner watching him/her with the baby? Griffin is simply adorable! Enjoy your trip and continue to take care of yourself!!

Wendy and Karen said...

He's so snuggly! And he has beautiful skin! Sounds like the feedings are going really well. Congratulations.

Holly said...

I do I do just want to cuddle up with him!

Stacey said...

he's so adorable. i keep checking back for more pictures!

glad everything is going so well. it is a blur when you're on mat leave. i never know what day it is.

wow on the pumping/breast feeding! you go, girl!