Monday, February 05, 2007

The Power of Suggestion

I dreamt that I fell asleep while reading a book about giving birth naturally without discomfort. In my dream I realized that I could feel griffin's head way down in my abdomen, and that I could actually feel his little ears quite perfectly through my skin. It was amazing! So I played with his (very cute) ears for a while, just rubbing them and talking to him, and eventually I woke up, or so I thought. My mind messes with me this way quite often when I'm sleeping, but I never manage to catch on while it's happening.

So I was laying there, still dreaming but thinking I was awake, thinking how sad it was that I couldn't actually feel him, that it had clearly just been a dream, when I reached down and discovered that (wow!) I really could feel him! I realized then, though, that I'd never felt him nearly so low, and started to wonder if perhaps I was going to have a very early baby. After massaging his ears for a while to reassure him that we'd both be fine and that we should relax and let things happen, I decided to get up and go to the bathroom.

I stood up and found that I was leaking fluid. Luckily my Mom and a random female cousin/aunt who doesn't really exist were standing in the hallway outside my room. Now at this point, a truly conscious me would probably stop in her tracks and wonder why I was in my childhood home, and who this other female was. But in my dream (since I clearly was still dreaming) I thought nothing of it.

I walked over to them, and calmly told my mom that I thought that I might be having an early baby. She calmly said something like "oh shit, and with company here" and suggested that I should go into the bathroom and check to see if it really was amniotic fluid. In order to get into the bathroom, I had to unplug a cord that they had just rigged across the hallway in order to blow cold night air in to where the aunt/cousin was staying. This, of course, because in that house when I was younger we did not have air conditioning. It was installed just before we left Michigan and moved to TN.

Anyway, I went into the bathroom, and discovered that yes, indeed, he was coming down already and my water had broken. I was surprised, of course, but very calm, and attributed it all to the relaxed anticipation that I was feeling as a result of the book on birthing in comfort. I thought to myself that the power of suggestion truly was very strong, and woke up (this time for real) feeling very happy and secure.

No, I can't massage Griffin's ears. But I'm looking forward to the day when I can. For now, I'm going to make myself a cheese sandwich and go back to bed.

7 comments:

Chelle said...

OH, I know that dreaming waking dreaming thing... SO confusing sometimes! That's pretty funny, your dream. I can only imagine how weird the dreams could be!!

mmmmmm, cheese....

underdog said...

hey there! I posted a Question for you on NW board...

Stacey said...

I love hearing other people's dreams. I've had a ton of weird ones while pregnant about giving birth early. That's such an interesting dream and hopefully the calm you felt will be there with you on the real day. :)

Momai said...

You know, Stacey, I think it will be. I know a lot of people really worry about it, but I'm actually looking forward to labor. It's such an amazing process; it'll be very cool to experience it myself.

Estella's Mom said...

Its funny that you dream of playing with your baby through your skin because I did the same thing while preg. with Estella. I used to dream of playing with her little feet. Now that she is here I am constantly kissing on them. Only 10 more weeks for you, right? I'm sure you can't wait. :)

Holly said...

is that some variation on the pregnancy dream of waking up to pee and a little head pops out!?!?

Stacey said...

I agree, you probably will be. I too am not worried about the big day--more excited and ready for it. I figure it's one day and I should be strong enough to get through it. I think mind over matter is a big deal and hopefully both of our birth experiences will be good ones. :)