Monday, February 19, 2007

Time goes weird again

Just when I think that things are moving quickly again, I realize for the umpteenth time just how long we still have to go. Last night I actually dreamt that I was ready to give birth and then realized that I still had to wait two months. And that's exactly how it feels. I feel big, Griffin feels strong, and psychologically I think that all three of us are ready. I have to consciously remind myself that I really don't want him to come this early, that it would be a hard time for all of us.

There's still much to do. The invite went out at work today for my shower, and get this... there are 40 people invited so far, and it's still growing! The person who is organizing it had to choose the date based partially on when she could get the largest training room in the building. I feel so special!!! I had a hunch that it was going to be big last week when she asked me to add to my registry, but I'm totally in awe. I gave her all the details for the cloth diapering stuff we want, in case people want to pool funds to get some for us. How cool would that be? Luckily I was included on the meeting invite, so I don't have to pretend not to know about it. And it's long enough away that I'll have a couple weekends to clean out the car!

I also still have to get everything set for the temp who will be handling my job while I'm out on leave. I've scheduled myself for an hour per day T/W/Th from now until she starts working with me in mid-March, so that I can get things all organized and written out. I've also started saying "no" to extra projects that I know will take a lot of time and may extend beyond when I have to leave. So on that level, I guess I'm finally thinking in terms of it being a short period of time until Griffin comes.

It reminds me a lot of moving to a new home. There's only so much you can do ahead of time, and there's the rush at the end that you know is coming but there's nothing you can do to spread it out or prepare ahead of time. For us, the true rush will start after the shower is done. Until then, it's a matter of staying as comfortable as possible, being patient, and finding as many positive distractions as possible!

When I start thinking that I still have a long long time to wait, I just think of all my internet friends and their new babies. The little ones are all so old already! When I remember that, I realize that there's really no time at all between now and then.

But then I think, "what if I'm a couple weeks late?" And on and on it goes, until I either fall asleep, get hungry, or find myself distracted by the rapid and impressive distortions of my abdomen.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Might as well rent a small u-haul to get things home from your shower!! Sounds like such fun!

S&C said...

I wish time would go by faster cause i cant wait to see pics of him :-)
Shower sounds like its going to have a lot of people which hopefully means a lot of baby gifts and a lot of fun :-)

Stacey said...

Oh yeah, the end is hard. We were sooo impatient. But it really will fly by once it happens. When people say to enjoy the time now, it's true. Sleep!!! See if you can sleep 24/7 cuz that would be nice. Hehehe. I thought I had the most fantastic sleep because I just lay down for 5 hours! To me, that's like sleeping 12 hours! LOL

That's so great about your work shower! My work gave me nothing. Not even a card. Nice. Angele's work gave her a gift basket and so did her union! And my work is the one that saw me pregnant everyday. Bah. LOL

Sacha said...

I felt the same way right about the same time. It's like all of the sudden you can see it ending and then the impatience sets in. It's hard. Right now I feel like the weeks are creeping and crawling by. It doesn't help that I'm knocking about the house and not at work now.

The shower sounds like so much fun. Ours is in a little over a week and 41 people are coming. It's 100% overwhelming.

Enjoy the belly. Our little guy is having a couple quiet days, which makes me miss him.

The Milk Maid said...

Time is creeping, but it's blowing by. It's all going to be a fuzzy memory too soon! I miss those days, but wouldnt trade the here and now for anything, and neither will you. I cant wait to read all the details on your shower. :) Aradia