Sunday, November 12, 2006

Poem for My Wife, in the Style of Ogden Nash, Composed at 6:00 AM Sunday Morning, on a Full Belly of Hash Browns and Fried Eggs

Oh my love, my lovely wife
Purveyor of things warm, toasty, and nutritious
You fill my belly with the finest stuff of life
For the health not just of me, but of us.

Nothing could be finer than waking from sleep to find
A beautiful woman coming near bearing food and smiles
As I try to adjust my eyes to the light, and my mind
to the fact that I really am so lucky as to have a wife
who knows that I will be wanting hot food at between
2:30 and 4:00AM each morning for the next several months,
and is willing to bring it to me on a tray that by that
time she will have carried miles.

When I am full you find instead that I want water
Or a bottle of sports drink with electrolytes (or at least I oughter.)
Or maybe a huge pile of blankets to burrow in on the couch
While unwinding after work as I try not to whine and grouch.

Thank you for everything a million times over.
Without you I'd be a total mess half the time
and my mornings would not be happy ones with you and
perfectly cooked whatever, but instead I'd be alone
with some pathetic microwaved food and Russell Stover.



(Ogden Nash)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it! you're one lucky woman.

C said...

Ladies...NICE! Man...I need a good boyfriend STAT! lol!

Momai said...

Go for it, Candace!

Michelle said...

That was just an adorable poem! You are talented! Love it!