Thursday, November 02, 2006

Yes, I am. No, I'm not.

This design is available in our gift shop. Click here to visit.

My dentist is 19 weeks pregnant, only 3 weeks ahead of me. It was very interesting talking to her about it while getting prepped for a crown yesterday. The poor thing... I can't imagine dealing with constant nausea and morning sickness while working as a dentist! With the smell issues I have, I'd never make it. As far as I know, she only had to dash for the bathroom once while working on me.

Once while it was just the tech and I, the tech asked me if my husband wanted a boy. I responded with the standard "My partner, actually. And yes, she is hoping for a boy." The tech fell all over herself apologizing for her mistake. I quickly reassured her that I, too, assume that any pregnant woman I see is straight. In fact, twice this week I've caught myself using the reasoning of "well, they have kids" as a reason for an assumption that someone is straight. I guess I need to work on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the funny thing about assumptions/stereotypes--they're so damn easy to latch on to! Because really, when you look at the stats, most people who have kids are straignt. But then what about those who aren't? It's just weird how hard it is for us to not jump to the stereotyped conclusion, even when we ourselves don't fit it... funny thing, the brain.
...but then i guess this is my Mental Health Counseling master's program talking... Or maybe it's personal experience. I guess it's both. ANYways... i'm rambling.

Love you!