Monday, January 08, 2007

Random illness at work

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually. I got to use my trash can for something other than office trash.

I don't know what happened. I felt fine when I got to work, but a couple minutes after I sat down I suddenly felt queasy, then all hot and flushed. It got so bad that I was actually down on the floor on my elbows and knees to help my circulation, because I couldn't bend over enough to get my head between my knees while sitting. I eventually recovered enough to make it down the hall to the break room to get some ice, which helped a lot. I sipped on some organic pear juice when I got back to my desk, and chalked it all up to a random drop in blood pressure. Maybe Griffin was hanging around on my vena cava. Who knows?

15 minutes later I was feeling much better, and decided to try some food. I'd brought some Coconut Ginger Thai noodles and some Zatarains red beans and rice. (Yeah, I know, random. But since I have two small lunches instead of one big one, why not mix it up?) Anyway, I chose the Zatarains. 1/3 of the way through, I suddenly felt full-blown nausea. Luckily, my trash can was handy and had a fresh liner in it.

I still don't know what happened. Maybe it was blood pressure, or maybe the tiny bit of fruit cake I decided to try this morning before I left for work reacted with the Rolaids I took when I got to my desk. Or maybe it was just a random hormone thing. If it happens again, I'll call the doctor. Otherwise, I'll just chalk it up to one more strange pregnancy phehomenon.

6 comments:

Wendy and Karen said...

Eeekk! Feel better soon.

knicky said...

awww hope you feel better soon!!

Momai said...

Thanks, I feel much better now. I even had the Thai noodles for lunch with no ill effects. I still haven't figured out what caused it, but right now I'd be willing to bet that it was the fruitcake/rolaids combo that set the whole thing off.

Chelle said...

Bleh! Glad it was a quick recovery!! & hope it doesn't happen again! Um, hadn't you heard that fruitcake is particularly bad for your health? They're actually just "show cake." You're not suppose to eat it, but rather marvel at what strange and random crap can end up in cake!

Momai said...

It was fruitcake from my mom's cousin, the only fruitcake I ever eat. It's awesome. But yeah, I knew I wasn't supposed to have any while pregnant, since it has some alcohol in it. But I've had it every year since I was a kid, so I didn't expect it to be an issue. Isn't there some sort of fruitcake immunity or something? ;)

Unknown said...

So sorry you aren't feeling well. Are you feeling better today?