Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sometimes a Gal's Got to Sculpt




I've been on a creativity kick the past week or so, and thought I'd share what I've been up to. First, I decided that I wanted a meditation focus for during labor. I have a small metal goddess figure that Mombi bought me a year or so ago that I've been carrying around with me, and I'll definitely have that with me at the hospital, but I also wanted something made especially for the occasion. So, I made myself a happy budda baby. I'm hoping that holding the baby gently during labor will help me to relax and release Griffin into the world. I still need to clean it up a bit, and carve in the toenails, etc. I may also decide to add some sort of pattern or texture on his clothes, I'm not sure yet.




Once I had the little budda ready to go, I decided to make Griffin some belly puppets. The duckies were cute, but just not very personal. So I thought about what a 6 month old fetus might like to play with, and decided that I'd make representations of the family that's waiting for him on the outside. So here we are! The cat is Basil, and the dog's name is Orange (full name Orange Nehi). Mombi's the one with the backwards cap (it's a black leather Harley biker cap,) and I'm the one with the blue shirt and short hair. I'm really bad at doing cartoon-ish people, and I definitely can't do realistic animals, so that's why we ended up without faces. Mombi says we look like pez dispensers. As soon as I figure out the best way to attach their bases to a belly band, I'll post some footage of Griffin playing wth them.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww thats sooo cute and a great idea. You have have even sparked some creativity within me...haha

Chelle said...

Love it! The baby buddha is a great idea. The fetal puppets are silly and adorable. Can't wait to see the show!

battynurse said...

I love the budda baby. That is so cute. The fetal puppets are cute too. Very neat ideas.

Anonymous said...

the buddha is gorgeous and the puppets are great fun. i'd love a set of puppets like that for our household. maybe when my maternity leave starts...

Holly said...

I love it! The puppets are so great!
I want a happy buddha baby for Lois! I'll have to find something else that can be a non-creative meditation focus.

C said...

Hahahah....I Love it also! What a wonderful Idea. Great talent, too. WOW! Very nice, looks like Griffin may be artistically inclined.

Unknown said...

Cute idea! You are creative!!!

Here is my new link to my blog
http://followmybabyjourney.blogspot.com/

I had to change it!

Anonymous said...

I thought the little family group were finger puppets, which knocked my socks off -- but when I found out they were belly puppets . . . OMG!! So are you going to put them on a mobile for Griffin to kick around? Having read this much of "the book", I am dying for the movie to come out. Not to mention Griffin himself . . .

Anonymous said...

I don't even have words for how I feel about the buddha baby. I just want to hold him and make little noises in my throat. I've sculpted a few babies in my day, and I know it's NOT easy. You totally nailed the character and the charisma.

Momai said...

Thanks, everyone! I had a blast making these. It's been too long since I sculpted anything. :)

Jennifer said...

OK, you need to mass produce those happy budda babies and I'd liek to place my order for one.

Stacey said...

Cool! I love your creations!!! You're talented. :)